Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Final Project: Alternative Galleries (video/statement)

Alternative Galleries (Vimeo)


     Alternative Galleries is a video documentary project I proposed at the beginning of the semester. The idea and concept was to learn more about this business that was beginning to rise especially in the Downtown Jersey City area. Being an young artist these spaces can be a starting point to showcase my work, and that goes for any new artists, I wanted to get a perspective from the individuals that operate these spaces. I was able to get in contact with several business but due to scheduling conflicts I was able to work on two locations Steam Cafe owned by Christine C. and E.TittleMouse&Co. own by Napoleon and his wife Belinda.  I believe in terms of what I got from these people were honest answers. I asked them both the same questions.
1. Tell us about yourself and your business
2. what do you think about alternative galleries
3. what made you decide to house a gallery
4. how do you curate shows
5. what artist do you look for and do you think they benefit from showing in this space
6. where do you see your business and alt. galleries going in the future. 
      Overall these business care about growing in the community and the arts plays a big part of community and culture and it brings people in and view work that may not have time to take a tour around NYC. These places serve as an outlet for artists to show work to help them grow and learn about displaying work and might have them get some recognition from collectors. this project was not easy in terms of editing but I believe I executed it will especially with my schedule and timing, this project is still growing as there are more alternative galleries in Downtown and I want to get to all of them to present a bigger final product. 

Thank You.









No comments:

Post a Comment