Friday, May 3, 2013

Final Project Update



Restoring and Converting Historical Buildings in Jersey City to Affordable Studio and Gallery Space.
I feel the United States has a problem with demolishing beautiful old building and replacing them with generic cement buildings with no character. What we should be doing is restoring these building and turning them into functional space. These abandoned building are beautiful and are a part of our architectural history.  With that said, I would like my semester project to do exactly that. I have found an abandoned building on the corner of Sip and Whiteman Avenues.  I plan to “restore” this building and turn it into studio space with a gallery. The gallery would be where the artists renting the studios would be able to display their artwork.   
My project will be presented as a pitch to potential investors and privet donors. The pitch will be shown on a PowerPoint presentation along with a small-scaled model of the building and posters. This will give the viewers a visual of how the building currently looks, how it will look, and how it will all be done. My hopes are to visually convince the investors to be a part of this project. Show and explain to them all of the perks and advantages this restored building will bring to the community.
The PowerPoint presentation part of my pitch will show actual pictures of the building and go into detail the expenses of restoring and converting the building into usable space. I will also provide information on how the building will be run the finances that will come along after the building is restored.
Part of these finances would include the amount of money it would take to run the building and how much rent would be. My main goal is to make these affordable enough for young artists who are just beginning their careers. I feel their needs to be somewhere for everyone to start and this can be where they get that opportunity.
By building a small model of the building, it give investors the opportunity to see how the building will be utilized inside and out. You will be able to visually take a look inside and how it will function. The model will show what the gallery space will look like and how the top floor will be separated into individual studio spaces. My PowerPoint will also go into detail how the gallery will be run after it has opened. For example; I would have a small management team working, running, and promoting the gallery and its shows.
Over all, this idea would benefit the city of Jersey City. Preserving its old buildings, bringing more culture and art into this urban environment, and promoting opportunities for young upcoming artists.


I used a website Prezi.com for my powerpoint, and was able to execute all of my research perfectly on it.


http://prezi.com/wgpu3iglv2aa/present/?auth_key=9b1wbsz&follow=0gmcydg2nd8k

No comments:

Post a Comment